[governance] Pakistani Wedding goes Green with a Website and Facebook Preparations

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 06:06:51 EDT 2010

Pakistani Wedding goes Green with a Website and Facebook Preparations

We have always believed that the Internet would impact our lives a
culture of its usage evolved integrating into the primary processes of
social and economic aspects of our daily lives. This Internet culture
would penetrate into the ways we express on daily basis, the content
we use, the content we produce, the content we distribute, the content
we present, the reuse of our content and the citizen dialogues that
are created as a result of this, thus, building the foundation for
positive socio-economic growth.

The above statement may come true with what a Canadian Couple that are
tying the wedding knot next week are using the Internet for making
most of their wedding preparations. The beautiful couple put up a
website at http://www.kurtandnimra.com/ and have been sharing all the
images from their engagement leading to preparations of their dresses
as well as what kind of wedding gifts they are looking forward to from
their friends. All the wedding reception scheduling have been done as
Facebook event invites where their friends can share beforehand
whether they will be able to attend or not. Why has this been the mode
used by the couple, well it doesn't waste paper and keeps the
environment green! Read on...

In a note by the couple on Facebook event's page, they share their
intentions of why they used the Internet and in particular Facebook
for their wedding invitations and the rest tells the whole story:

Kurt and Nimra's Wedding
Event Type:       Wedding
Start Time:	Friday, June 11, 2010 at 6:30pm
End Time:	        Saturday, June 12, 2010 at 9:30pm
Location:	        Lahore, Pakistan

Our marriage brought together two families from two opposite corners
of the world and two completely different cultures. It forges
life-long bonds that transcend all tangible boundaries. It it with
overwhelming excitement that we extend this invitation to you, our
dearest friends to join us on this very special day of celebration.

You may be wondering why you have not received an invite card, and
although Facebook is a rather impersonal invitation, it was also a
conscious decision on our part to save paper in our effort to host an
event that is as aligned with environmental values as we are. Please
visit our website to see how else we plan to make our wedding as low
impact as possible.

See how you too can contribute by visiting
http://www.kurtandnimra.com/. Also see the above website for how to
send gifts or "salaami" via PayPal and our request for sustainable
gifts (if they are non-monetary).

The dates to put in your calendar are:

Day 1: June 11th - Menhdi (come prepared to dance, play music or sing!)
Starts at 6.pm SHARP
Due to the recent law dictating that all wedding halls must shut off
electricity by 9.00pm, the Mehndi will start and end on time.

Day 2: June 12th - Baraat (wedding)
Removed for Privacy Purposes. Lahore.
Starts at 6.30 pm SHARP
Music and Dinner : 7.00pm to 9.00pm
Rukhsati: 9.30pm

All those who RSVP'd will be emailed a map of the location and
directions to the venue and details on transport options (buses leave
from --Privacy:University-- if you don't want to make your own way
there). I know some of you won't be able to join us in Pakistan so we
will be hosting a Valima reception and special ceremony in Calgary,
Canada however the date has not been confirmed but we are estimating
late August. We will update this list and all of you when a date is
finalized.

To RSVP for our wedding, please visit:
http://www.kurtandnimra.com/rsvp
If you have any questions about RSVP'ing, email rsvp [at] kurtandnimra.com
If you have any specific questions for the wedding party, please write to:
bride--privacy---
groom at --privacy--

--
Regards.