[governance] ICANN head warns against putting Internet addresses

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Jun 1 00:13:57 EDT 2010

Hi Siva,

There are many things that could be done to make ICANN more nimble and
productive without losing user input.

Here¹s a few

Separate policy development activities from day to day management activities
and involve constituencies in policy development heavily, day to day
management sparsely if at all.
Clarify mission and scope of activities
Deal with historic At Large ­ NCUC overlaps
Cut number of face to face meetings to max 2 per annum (1 is probably enough
in fact)
Develop strong policy base for expenditure of internet tax base gathered
Develop base of trust with constituencies so as to eliminate nitpicking
activities based on mistrust of management
Get the high level stuff right, then people will stop nitpicking about the
trivia

Transparency and public participation don¹t have to be inconsistent with
capacity to act quickly and organisational effectiveness.

Ian Peter