[governance] curious note on nairobi and brussels...

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 6 11:46:53 EDT 2010

Carlos -

I also have travelled the globe (including to many locations
"off the beaten track"), and I support ICANN holding meetings
in many locations, not just the "supposed safe" more developed
countries.  In general, this is a good practice which encourages
the commingling of many points of view to the benefit of all.

However, I will also note that the moment a report of potential
attack on the meeting facility was made, it became extremely
difficult for many organizations to send attendees.  This has
nothing to do with the actual level of unrest or warmth of the
local hospitality as much as the liability that results for any
type of organization when ignoring such a warning.  It would not
have mattered if the meeting were in Nairobi, Paris, Washington,
or Geneva; the notice of a potential attack being planned will
always result in similar cancellations.

In addition to the personal tragedy that could have resulted,
staff hurt in attendance at such an event (or their families)
would rightfully claim that being sent into such a place with
a "known" risk was irresponsible, and with the result (at least
in the lovely litigious US) that an organization might be risking
its entire existence and ability to perform its mission by deciding
to send personnel once so forewarned.  It is not a reflection of
the meeting venue or locale; it's the reality of the legalistic
world that many organizations need to function in today.

/John

     governance at lists.cpsr.org