[governance] Workshops update, and decisions needed

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Jul 2 14:51:50 EDT 2010

On 2 Jul 2010, at 10:21, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> I am going to suggest that we recommend that the Secretariat's conclusions on approval of workshops be publicly posted online, because at present this process is not sufficiently transparent.  Moreover the rapid chopping and changing of the schedule during the open consultation session inevitably disadvantages those who are remote, despite the availability of Twitter and email.  For one thing, those in the room were working off a document that the remote participants did not (and still don't) have.  A prior, more open process of posting and responding to comments on workshops online would be far preferable in my opinion.

The last part is not quite true.  the working document was sent to all those participating on the remote links.  Since it was a working document the idea was to restrict to those working, but everyone who was participating (local or remote) should have received a copy.

I would argue that nothing was chopped in a non-transparent way because nothing was chopped.  in fact for the most part everything started out as not accepted and then throughout the process various things were accepted for reasons like, - it was a feeder, it combined with a few others, it was complete and had multistakeholder and multi-region organization and panelists.  Preference was given to workshops with the participants already lined up.  Nothing was black listed or black balled, everything scheduled was accepted for some reason (sometimes because someone local or remote argued for it) - nothing was rejected, just some things were not accepted because they did not have enough of the positive attributes mentioned above.

a.

ps. yes, i am currently working for the IGF secretariat.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org