[governance] Workshops update, and decisions needed

D. R. Newman d.r.newman at qub.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 11:14:38 EDT 2010

Where is there a list of all approved workshops? We (http://huwy.eu/)
have been talking to the people who put in for a youth workshop.

On 02/07/10 14:27, Fouad Bajwa wrote:

> I would not be supportive of the suggestion to include panellists
> since that would limit the creativity and idea sharing aspects of the
> workshop.

I strongly agree. Rather than ask a few people to prepare something for
the workshop, invite lots of people to suggest ideas in advance, and
have that list available during the workshop. In that way you can get
use the considered, developed, evidence as input to creative generation
of new ideas.

> As a matter of rule decided initially, no one gets the mic or floor
> for more than 5 mins and at 4.5 mins, the speaker will be notified.

Have you thought about using electronic brainstorming to speed up the
event? Instead of waiting for each person to speak in turn, then writing
down the idea, then going to the next person, ... - you can have
everyone typing in ideas (answers to an open question) at the same time,
with all the ideas appearing on the screen in front of them. I routinely
get 60 to 80 ideas in 5 minutes when I use this with my students or in
the theory-building workshops I have been running at e-participation
conferences.

Of course, once you have used the technology to collect input from
everyone, you then move back into conversations. I only use products
like WebIQ (www.webiq.net) at particular points in the discussion to
save time in collecting, selecting or rating ideas. The rest of the time
I run my sessions as a mediator would, or as David Gurteen runs his
knowledge cafes.

> On the participation side, everyone is encouraged to invite as many
> people as possible. I am going to undertake significant efforts to get
> a good diversity of voices to this workshop. I will try to bring in as
> many youth as possible. I will also be requesting various Latin
> American, African, South Asian, Asia Pacific, Australian, European and
> Canadian youth, legislators and civil society people to join us.
>
> I will also be talking with Rafik and the Child Net project to get the
> 12 youth coming from their program to be part of our workshop.

In addition to direct participation from Child Net, it is also possible
to bring in the collected views and experiences from the HUWY project.
Over the summer 80 groups (from 6 to 300) of young people from 4
countries will discuss Internet governance, then write reports for
policy-makers. These reports will be collected on http://huwy.eu/ , so
IGF participants will be able to read and comment on them. If we could
get funds, we would like to take some of the people who wrote reports to
Vilnius - if not, maybe Adobe Connect would work.

--
Dr. David R. Newman, Queen's University Belfast, School of Management
and Economics, BELFAST BT7 1NN, Northern Ireland (UK)
Tel. +44 28 9097 3643  mailto:d.r.newman at qub.ac.uk
http://www.e-consultation.org/ http://huwy.eu/
     governance at lists.cpsr.org