[governance] IGF and TLDs

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Jul 1 19:50:24 EDT 2010

On 07/01/2010 07:05 AM, Eric Dierker wrote:
> So Karl,
>
> Why are the big money players sticking with this ICANN myopia. I do not
> see it as cost effective or advantageous that they should stay in the
> ICANN sandbox. Where is the disconnect between policy in direction of
> expenditures and the technical possibility/reality?

People who are making a business investment want to minimize their risks.

It is risky (from a business point of view, not a technical one) to put
money behind a TLD in a competing root system.

Why is it a risk?

Well first off we have to remember that this whole ICANN thing got kick
started when Jon Postel did the very sane and prudent thing of trying to
test whether the DNS protocol and root server failover behaviour is, in
fact, as designed and as advertised.  (As in all things like this -
whether it be DNS root services or electrical power transfer switches -
it is sometimes necessary to test on live systems.)  Jon's reward for
trying to protect the internet was to receive threats from the US gov't
of criminal prosecution.  Those event led through a series of steps, but
quite direct steps, to the establishment of ICANN.

The mentality that wanted to throw Jon Postel in jail for thinking of
doing a controlled test whether DNS might collapse in the face of
failure is a mentality which is merely napping, it is not gone.

So anyone considering going outside the ICANN system has to recognize
that there are some minds, sometimes in high places, that might take
strong exception to the degree of attempting to impose outlandish sanctions.

The second reason why it is a risk is work outside ICANN's root is that
ICANN and the IAB have published some documents that seem more inspired
to repress heretical thoughts than to illuminate technological
constraints.  ICANN's is known as "ICP-3 - A Unique, Authoritative Root
for the DNS" (http://www.icann.org/en/icp/icp-3.htm )

ICP 3 and the IAB peer to it are essentially the same kind of materials
that were used to scare the public away from a perfectly fine
alternative as occurred in the Hush-A-Phone case.  Back in 1950's when
AT&T and the FCC swore up and down on a stack of bibles that a passive
plastic hand, the Hush-a-Phone device, on a telephone handset would
cause operators to go deaf and electrocute repair men up on telephone
poles - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush-A-Phone_v._United_States

As viewed through the telescope of time we can see that the claims of
AT&T and the FCC, a regulatory body captured at the time by AT&T, were
entirely bogus fabrications devoid of technical merit designed to
protect AT&T's business interests.

One might see parallels between AT&T and the FCC protecting the
telephone monopoly and ICANN and incumbent registries protecting today's
highly exclusive domain name guild.

We have to recognize that technical people are proud of their creations,
and in the case of the phone systems and internet that pride is well
justified.  There is a natural tendency in people to become conservative
and protective of their great efforts and become somewhat resentful of
new generations who alter their work or use it in ways that seem
"different".  So there is no wonder that senior technical people
expressed hyperbolic concern over the Hush-a-phone or the concept of
competing roots.  Change always disrupts and discomforts; and while that
disruption and discomfort is a concern that should be recognize, it is
not in itself a sufficient reason to prevent change.

We ought to remember that the the Hush-a-phone case was the first crack
in the vast totality of Ma Bell in the US; that crack spread over the
years via cases like Carterfone and MCI, eventually leading to the
flexibility that made the internet possible.

I am a strong believer that the concept of competing roots holds the
answer to the Gordian knot of the TLD wars and largely obviates ICANN -
see my note "What would the internet be like had there been no ICANN?"
at http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000331.html  The part of
concern here begins with "The Alternative History".

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org