[governance] First Finnish Internet Forum, Helsinki, Sept. 20-21, 2010

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 1 11:58:06 EDT 2010

Yrjo,

I write, not in advocacy but in hopes that your fine people deliberate long and hard regarding the balancing between national cultural integrity and open and multinational incorporation. Too often for nations the tone of the discussions is picked up from existing international groups, dialog and conventional norms brought about by existing international inclusiveness and open boundaries. And still the opposite is true, nationalistic fervor often turns a blind eye to the value of access to world knowledge and benefits thereof in the rough guise of security and isolationism.

My interest in Finlandia stems from my upbringing and association with Hopi and Navajo Native Americans. A whole world apart but so clearly anthropologically similar to the Native cultures of your land.  It drives home the undeniable fact that as world citizens we are much closer in our roots than geography and current politics may lead us to believe. In this vein, global inclusiveness is healthy and hopeful and good. The more we accept our individual likeness the more we can empathize and identify with others, thereby increasing knowledge and decreasing conflict.  But we must be ever mindful that this simplistic view is often usurped by those who would literally destroy cultures in order to create homogeneous selling and control zones of influence.

The key to appropriate evaluation and implementation of National governance on communications is flexibility and dynamics. I hope that you make strong laws and rules and regulations to protect that which is unique and valuable to your culture and countrymen and women and children. But I implore you to make such guidelines and restrictions have natural review and closure dates that require constant evaluation and critical analysis so as not to restrict the inevitable changes and growth which if guided is good but if left unchecked is dangerous to integrity of a people.

Keep that which sacrosanct protected. Remain vigilante to grow and evolve so that it happens with health and progress not mutation and division. Let your cultural values be your guide and understanding be your motivation.

Eric