[governance] Process issues for future consensus calls

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 15:09:26 EST 2010

My "Political Dictionary" defines "consensus" as "agreement
approaching unanimity, usually without a vote."

But not always without a vote, since there must be some way to assess
the consensus, especially at the frontier of 'rough consensus' the
existence of which allows coordinators to draft (or rather re-draft) a
statement representing the rough consensus.

To the extent a redrafted statement incorporates (without future
objection) the concerns of the minority, it might then qualify for
full consensus, depending.

Where differences are fundamental and/or are not incorporated into the
statement of rough consensus (or where there is no tweaking of the
text attempted) the existing text would then have the tag of "approved
by rough consensus" or the like.

If one wished to avoid voting per se, one procedure that seems sound
to me is for an "integrator" (whether it be a co-ordinator or their
delegate, or a subcommittee member that's agreed upon) to review all
available posts, asking for clarification where needed, then drafting
up a statement that they believe is acceptable to all or very nearly
all (definition of consensus) and then circulating that statement to
the list to hear any feedback, especially those objections that would
be in the nature of "fails to capture the full group in the following
way..." or "substantially misrepresents an idea of the group or its
members" or drafting typos or errors.  Upon the requisite comment
period of 48 hours or as otherwise applicable, a good faith redraft is
done.

The Integrator or referee so to speak in the above process would
ideally have the skills of a elgal drafter to some extent, a grasp of
technical basics with ability to learn, and a high commitment to
active listening with a view toward the integration of the wisdom of
the group as a whole.  It is both very limiting (in the
listening/input aspect) and quite creative (in the imagination of the
integration that might make various voices consistent, to the full
extent possible).

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1