[governance] Consensus call on IGC statement: please respond YES

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Sat Jan 30 00:35:15 EST 2010

Dear all,

My support to the IGC and to the people who have worked (and argued) hard
for such a complex statement. So it is:

YES + thematic working groups

Regards,
Charity

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:25 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 to all of what Bill said.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
>

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM, William Drake
> <william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Jan 29, 2010, at 8:51 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> >
> >> Please reply YES if you agree that the statement below should be put
> forward by the IGC for the next IGF open consultation meeting.
> >
> > Thanks Jeremy for taking on board the comments and edits people have
> suggested.  I'd be a yes, but I wonder if you really need to close editing
> and call consensus now; why not give it a day for final tweaks, since the
> focus in the first instance is a statement for the consultation rather than
> an input to the synthesis paper?
> >
> > If it's still possible: I wish you'd not deleted mention of the working
> group sentence from the para on intersessional activities.  Why not just
> replace "The MAG should also organize thematic working groups of MAG members
> plus outsiders" with "The IGF could also organize thematic working
> groups..." and leave the precise modalities of participation and input TBD?
>  To me at least, it would have been nice to keep the idea on the table in
> some form...
> >
> > Also I wonder if there isn't a way to address this,
> >
> > On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:40 AM, Parminder wrote:
> >
> >> "The IGC is ready to make innovative contributions to enhance the
> present "Secretariat-MAG-Open Consultation" mechanism for the preparation of
> IGF meetings."
> >>
> >> therefore, to me, just means that we look to the new experiment of no
> MAG meetings post feb, or in subsequent years, perhaps even ever, with
> hopeful anticipation.... I think that is a strange view to project for a
> group  which put in so much effort in trying to shape IGF as a purposeful
> body in the global Internet policies landscape.
> >
> > Parminder is there a sentence or two on what such contributions might
> comprise and how to ensure a more purposeful agenda that would satisfy your
> concerns?  Personally I don't see that the text implies we look forward to
> no MAG.  Elsewhere we say that representation in the MAG should be more
> balanced, mention uncertainty about its rotation while renewal is in the
> air, and refer to it as part of the intersessional work we think could be
> built out.  But you'd like a more declarative 'we want a MAG' sentence?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Bill

> Cheers,
>
> McTim

Charity Gamboa-Embley
Student Alternatives Program, Inc - South Plains Academy
4008 Avenue R
Lubbock, Texas 79412
Phone: +1 (806) 744 0330
Fax: +1 (806) 741 1089