[governance] [Re-post] Consensus call on IGC statement: please respond YES + thematic working groups, YES or NO

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Jan 29 10:22:01 EST 2010

On 29/01/2010, at 8:19 PM, Parminder wrote:

> While  appreciate your effort to take this forward in this manner, this is to point to a technical issue... From my experience, I think most people here would just say, yes, even if when they agree to the whole lot, then say yes + thematic working groups. This would let to the erroneous impression that they do not support thematic groups... Since many agreed immediately to Bill's proposal of this change, I do think that the general feeing in the group is for keeping this in. I suggest you just put it in the statement, and give the option to people to vote yes, or yes, but minus WGs.... Sorry, if this sounds bothersome. Just trying to help :)

It was your proposal originally, posted on 21 January.  It made its way into the draft posted on 27 January.  McTim disagreed with it and argued it be struck.  Bill asked to change the wording by removing "of MAG members plus outsiders".  Lee agreed with Bill's email generally (not mentioning this part in particular).  So did I miss it when "many agreed immediately"?

I'm actually not convinced there is a a consensus for new thematic working groups (much as I may like the idea).  Consequently I'm not going to change the options to voting YES or YES - WGs, because that will only confuse people more.  As a compromise however I am happy to query those who voted just YES off-list, and ask them to revise their vote on-list if they really meant YES + thematic working groups.

Hope that helps.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.