[governance] Consensus call on IGC statement: please respond YES or NO

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Fri Jan 29 04:17:00 EST 2010

Hi

On Jan 29, 2010, at 8:51 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> Please reply YES if you agree that the statement below should be put forward by the IGC for the next IGF open consultation meeting.

Thanks Jeremy for taking on board the comments and edits people have suggested.  I'd be a yes, but I wonder if you really need to close editing and call consensus now; why not give it a day for final tweaks, since the focus in the first instance is a statement for the consultation rather than an input to the synthesis paper?

If it's still possible: I wish you'd not deleted mention of the working group sentence from the para on intersessional activities.  Why not just replace "The MAG should also organize thematic working groups of MAG members plus outsiders" with "The IGF could also organize thematic working groups..." and leave the precise modalities of participation and input TBD?  To me at least, it would have been nice to keep the idea on the table in some form...

Also I wonder if there isn't a way to address this,

On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:40 AM, Parminder wrote:

> "The IGC is ready to make innovative contributions to enhance the present "Secretariat-MAG-Open Consultation" mechanism for the preparation of IGF meetings."
>
> therefore, to me, just means that we look to the new experiment of no MAG meetings post feb, or in subsequent years, perhaps even ever, with hopeful anticipation.... I think that is a strange view to project for a group  which put in so much effort in trying to shape IGF as a purposeful body in the global Internet policies landscape.

Parminder is there a sentence or two on what such contributions might comprise and how to ensure a more purposeful agenda that would satisfy your concerns?  Personally I don't see that the text implies we look forward to no MAG.  Elsewhere we say that representation in the MAG should be more balanced, mention uncertainty about its rotation while renewal is in the air, and refer to it as part of the intersessional work we think could be built out.  But you'd like a more declarative 'we want a MAG' sentence?

Cheers,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org