[governance] IPv6 address allocations to DOD

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Jan 29 01:08:02 EST 2010

Well after all of that, my two basic questions remain. I appreciate John
Currans hands are tied, and that ARIN is acting in the best interests of the
Internet community, but my questions remain.

How many IP addresses have been reserved for US military use? (in plain,
simple numerics). John only tells me what has been allocated, while
mentioning more have been reserved. Its the latter figure I am interested
in, and as yet I don't have a denial or correction of the
42,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 figure advanced at

royal.pingdom.com/.../the-us-department-of-defense-has-42-million-billion-
billion-billion-ipv6-addresses/

Nor do I have any denial that this is the largest allocation or reservation
to date.

What I do have, following McTims research, is that the justification appears
to be a concept called NCW (Network-centric warfare). Would it not be fair,
then, to allocate and reserve blocks of the same size for the military of
each nation state so that we have a level playing (sic) field for
network-centric warfare? Or would we rather create a couple of dominant
nations and then aim for a network-centric warfare non proliferation treaty?

I remain suspicious that the shoulders of ARIN were lent on not too gently
in the reservation of  42,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
addresses (or whatever the figure is). I can't see that the allocation would
have been made otherwise.

But we may never know.

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org