[governance] IPv6 address allocations to DOD

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jan 28 14:38:17 EST 2010

On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:46 PM, Ian Peter wrote:
> In either case, the number is huge, in excess of allocations to bodies who
> have greater neeeds for IP numbers, and hardly allocated on the basis of
> need.

The allocation was made based on documented need.

> I wonder if someone can let us know the correct number allocated or reserved
> for US DOD use? It would also be useful to know how the decision on the
> allocation was taken.

The allocations are all in the WHOIS database, which is public by nature.

The US DoD made a request to ARIN for IPv6 allocations.  Such requests are
covered by NDA because they contain proprietary information, just as every
request received from carriers, enterprises, hosting companies, etc.  Due
to the size of the request, it's safe to assume that there was lots of
additional communication and documentation required to show why & how
such an allocation was needed.

> If the number was simply allocated because it was asked for, that seems a
> very naïve decision in an age where claims of information imperialism are
> being made. Surely someone in the relevant internet governance area (ARIN?)
> would have thought about the policy implications?
>

> Or if there was simply no choice - US DOD gets what it wants, no questions
> asked, questions need to be raised about the independence of internet
> governance structures.

Allocations are made based on documented need in accordance with the
established policy.  Policy is determined by the community based on the
Policy Development Process, which is documented at:
<https://www.arin.net/participate/how_to_participate.html>.

At present, there is no limit on address allocation size for IPv6,
although the community could always adopt one as policy.

> Yes I know, there are plenty of numbers available (they said that with IPv4
> as well). But that's hardly the point.

Correct. Conservation is a basic principle of IPv6 allocations.

> Can someone enlighten us with the details of this allocation and how it was
> made?

I hope this explanation helps.  ARIN isn't in a position to disclose the
application information related to any allocation, regardless of the nature
of the applicant.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO