[governance] Re: Openess at ApNic

German Valdez german at apnic.net
Sun Jan 24 23:29:09 EST 2010

Hi

I think McTim shared the right links about APNIC’s work related to openness.

Among all the information you find in these links, I’d like to highlight, the APNIC Policy Development Process in particular, which is open, transparent, and bottom-up for a very good reason. We truly believe that a wider community consultation delivers a better result for the community.

APNIC takes great care to encourage broad participation from all members of the community, not just APNIC Members. The bulk of the policy process is conducted online using email lists open to any interested person. Each year, two face-to-face policy discussions take place in different locations throughout the region. For each of these, remote participants can follow proceedings with video and transcription webcasting and directly be part of policy discussions via online chat rooms.

All this and more is documented, recorded and freely available on the APNIC website. All community discussions and decisions are available to any member of the public. APNIC maintains archives of all the Executive Council Minutes, Annual Reports, the Policy Development Process outcomes, and much, much more.

Additionally to the information published in our website and wikipedia, APNIC has been an active participant in Internet Governance activities, including WSIS and the IGF, advocating for an open, transparent and bottom up Internet.

We are always willing to consider suggestions about how we can improve and increase participation, so if you have any ideas, please don’t hesitate to contact me

German Valdez
Communications Area Manager APNIC

     governance at lists.cpsr.org