[governance] Re: Openess at ApNic

Fearghas McKay fm-lists at st-kilda.org
Sat Jan 23 20:32:47 EST 2010

On 23 Jan 2010, at 23:30, Eric Dierker wrote:

> Thanks, I am studying and learning much about this and RiP e .

You should be aware that there is a difference between RIPE and the
RIPE NCC.

RIPE is the community.

RIPE NCC - RIPE Network Coordination Centre, is the executive
organisation that implements the policies that are set by the RIPE
community. It is a membership organisation, and sets the fees for the
implemented policies on a cost recovery basis. It does not set policy.
It provides the organisation for the RIPE meetings.

Anyone can participate in the RIPE and the policy making process, it
is open to all. The decision making process is done via mailing lists,
not at face to face meetings, although meetings are used to enable
discussion. The meetings are webcast, with scribes to feedback
external questions. I would say it is a fine example of a bottom up
organisation, but I might be biased as a WG Chair :-)

All the other RIRs have a similar split between policy making and NCC/
NIC/operations organisation, however I think that only RIPE has the
separate naming convention for the two groups.

HTH

     governance at lists.cpsr.org