[governance] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated,

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 19:37:26 EST 2010

Hi Tom,

I appreciate your comments and directions as I respect everyone's
comment and have keenly read them!

Most of this discussion was a spin-off from a piece of information I
shared coming from the APNIC lists. Though the discussion has been
very informative but what are being termed as assertions are still
based on years of practical interactions and responses from the
Internet community in our region and I would like to pause this
discussion for the moment as it is distracting me a bit from the
issues I am focused on at the moment though I will continue to read
and follow discussions on the various APNIC lists.

I did very well understand what APNIC said as during the day we
continued discussions and I also introduced more delegations to the
APNIC staff so that issue at my end remains affirmative, please do not
self assume the accuracy of my discussions and deliberations though I
admit it is hard for anyone to stand in my shoes and understand that
where I am coming from.

I am not currently engaged in hardcore academic activities and there
is only one university from Pakistan that is actually a medical sector
university so again universities aren't of much of the issue here and
in our region universities do not lead multi-sector research and
engagement with the industry as it happens in the developed regions. I
do have links to the academia at my end as I serve on ICT decision
committees/social enterprise development initiatives/technology
incubation in various public universities in Pakistan and have taught
at some during my 10 year teaching career but that again is a whole
separate thing and has nothing to do with APNIC.

I have been following the SIG and sorry to say you might not clearly
understand non-commercial users or policy matters that they engage in.
Also, it doesn't deal with grassroot stakeholder or again the user
issues. The majority of APNIC members are the Private and Public
Sector organizations and if you follow the universities, you will
understand how many are public and private sector so again that
argument may not hold validity here. The APNIC SIG does not serve that
purpose though it might be a good starting point but I am not going to
step into it at this point.

Some of my ambiguities continue to be un-answered from the
non-commercial, simple user etc stakeholder perspective but that is
okay as once again this is not my focus nor any of my colleagues that
have responded belong my region and the ones that do haven't responded
and also none of the people that practically experience the results of
APNIC activities are present here which means the people say from
Pakistan or India or Sri Lanka or Nepal etc that may actually be
corresponding with APNIC.

Thank you to everyone once again that participated in this discussion
even though it was a spin-off from just an information sharing
message.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 12:29 AM,  <tvest at eyeconomics.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> region also prove this, as he has had a not insignificant impact on ARIN
>>> policy making since he joined the list.
>>>

>>> , more or less, a structure coming
>>> down from the parent number resource system.
>>>
>>> Nope, completely bottom up.  Where do you get these false notions from?
>>>

>>> Actually its sold to APNIC Members that charge quite a fees that in
>>> most cases is far more than the amount of income for many in our part
>>> of the world. Have a look at the Membership Charges of APNIC.
>>>
>>> IP addresses are NOT sold.  You should read more completely:
>>>
>>> http://www.apnic.net/services/become-a-member/how-much-does-it-cost
>>>
>>> "APNIC does not sell Internet resources such as IP addresses.
>>>
>>> Instead, resources holders are granted the right to use these public
>>> resources. However, APNIC charges administration fees to assist in the
>>> management of this resource and the provision of services it provides the
>>> community."
>>>
>>> I have tracked their fees for many years, and find their system to be very
>>> fair.
>>>
>>> What you must understand is that for an ISP that wants IP blocks, one does
>>> not have to join a RIR to get them, they can simply get an assignment or
>>> sub-allocation from their upstream provider.  For larger ISPs, the cost of
>>> joining and getting an allocation is a tiny fraction of their monthly
>>> revenue.  It's part of the cost of doing business, like serving tea to the
>>> staff  (I know because the last ISP I worked for actually had a larger
>>> tea/sugar/milk budget than for the AfriNIC fees).
>>>

>>> The perception you shared is what is commonly shared amongst the
>>> Internet community from the developed world.
>>>
>>> This perception is also widely shared in the developing world.
>>>

>>> Its not an apple pie for
>>> us, really, we have some really tough problems here.
>>>
>>> Believe me I know what those problems are and work on them daily here in
>>> Africa.  The RIRs fees are NOT one of the problems.
>>>
>>> Its not how critically we think but what resources we have access to
>>> without Moolah (money) in between. The system is very vague indeed for
>>> the people that see it from outside but from the inside, you pay, you
>>> get.
>>>

>>> Do you honestly think that adding another layer of bureaucracy would make
>>> the system cheaper?
>>>

>>> I rest my case.
>>>
>>> I find no merit in your "case".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> McTim
>>> "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A route
>>> indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

>> --
>> Regards.
>> Fouad Bajwa
>> Advisor & Researcher
>> ICT4D & Internet Governance
>> Member Multistakeholder Advisory Group (IGF)
>> Member Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC)

Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org