[governance] RE: China Global Times editionial on Google issue

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jan 22 17:01:17 EST 2010

Ian,
Very surprised you were taken in by this old trick. Unbelievable.
This is a reproduction of the old "New world information order" debates in which dictators sought refuge in concepts of "sovereignty" over communication and "unbalanced flows" of information in order to shield themselves and their regimes from criticism and to control dialogue about themselves.

OK, when these were small African nations (which nevertheless often had really bad dictators, like Mobutu or Amin) maybe this idea of unbalanced information generation capabilities was a little bit plausible. But when we are talking about China, where the language differs and the size of the market is now larger than any country in the world except the US, this kind of complaint is just the most obvious state-sponsored rationalizations for censorship and a pathetic attempt to use nationalism and the fear of a foreign enemy to paper over repression.

The idea that China (or virtually any other country that engages in systematic censorship) is doing it to prortect themselves from domineering foreigners is ridiculous. It is immediately refuted by the fact that the most important forms of censorship and surveillance are directed at internal sources of dissent. I guess you haven't been in China for a while, but the fifty-cent army is not concerned with the pronouncements of Hilary Clinton in English - they monitor and respond to Chinese people speaking to themselves. The Falun Gong is likewise not exactly a foreign force in China, nor are the Tibetans.

The claim that 81% of Chinese are supporting the Chinese government against Google is another one of these manufactured polls produiced by whom? The Chinese Ministry of Culture and Propaganda.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org