[governance] ICANN Nairobi Meeting in Doubt Due to Security

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:19:47 EST 2010

David,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM, David Goldstein <
goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This may be of interest to some...

It is has been a topic of discussion here in Kenya.

> Cheers
> David
>
> ICANN Nairobi Meeting in Doubt Due to Security Concerns
> Rumours have been circulating in recent days that ICANN are reconsidering

I have heard no discussion of "reconsideration".  AFAIK, this whole
contretemps was sparked off by a tweet from Rod Beckstrom, in response to a
tweet from Rafik regarding a small, isolated skirmish last Friday in central
Nairobi.

The announcement says:  "The purpose of the board meeting is to assess plans
for the upcoming meeting in Nairobi, and to consider the security concerns
raised by community members in light of recent events."

Now this may mean moving the meeting location to a more suburban one, but I
seriously doubt that it would not be held here.

Let's not jump to any conclusions or spread any more unsubstantiated rumors
about this, Kenyan stakeholders are upset enough as it is about ICANN
possibly moving the meeting.

The mini riot here last week was so small that I didn't hear about it until
two days after it had occurred.  The causes of the unrest are not the same
as the widespread violence of two years ago in Kenya.

Mountain. Molehill.
--
Cheers,

McTim