[governance] WG: Concern for the future of civil society

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Mon Jan 18 20:48:04 EST 2010

All,

There are some important issues in this intechange.

First, I speak only for myself in this forum, not
at all for ICANN.  What I say here has noting to
do with my connection with ICANN.  Perhaps I
should have made that explicit, but I thought it
would be obvious.

In addition, ICANN's mandate is to ensure the
safety and security of the Internet with regard
to assigned names and numbers, and to work for
the public interest in doing so.  Its mandate is
purposely bounded, and I suspect that almost all
of the people who subscribe to this list would
like to keep it this way.

Second, thinking about a longer term strategy for
civil society does not preclude acting in the
short term, whether it's preparing a position
paper or actually engaging in work the field to
support valued principles.  Furthermore, a longer
term vision/strategy that has achieved consensus
is likely to be helpful in informing short term
activities.  My post concerned itself with
Wolfgang's suggestion,not with the draft that is
currently being scrutinized by the group.

Third, I like practical solutions.  I don't like
establishing goals that cannot possibly be
achieved and for which no action can be specified
and is taken.  In particular, I don't like goals
that provide self-satisfaction to the person who
sets them but does nothing to work toward that
goal in an effective manner.

Let's look at the United Nations MDGs just as an
example.  Consider goal 4: reducing infant
mortality:

	Reduce by two thirds, between 1990 and
2015, the under-five mortality rate

Now I believe that no one on this list, and
certainly no one at the United Nations, is in
favor of any residual infant mortality.  However,
note that the goal is not to eliminate infant
mortality completely,  but to reduce it very
significantly.  This is possibly a realistic
goal.  If it can be met (and Iam not an expert on
whether it is feasible or not), then a next
reasonable goal would be to reduce it further.

There are some things that you can do with a
realistic goal such as this.  for example, you
can analyze where and why the rate of infant
mortality is high, and consider what measures, if
taken, would reduce it and by how much.  You can
prioritize efforts toward achieving this goal and
get the biggest return for the money spent.

It's interesting to speculate what kinds of goals
might be appropriate for civil society actors  --
presumably including subscribers to this list  --
if such an approach were taken.  Here are some
examples that have some appeal for me; if you
don't like them, choose some that you like better:

1. Work toward achieving formal acceptance of
confidentiality of information on the Internet in
80% of the countries in the world.  Develop or
use an existing measure of open governance
hostility to identify governments where action at
the local level is needed and should be
supported.  Transparency International and others
are engaged in this type of activity.

2. Work toward establishing and propagating a
collection of techniques, tools and training that
will allow civil society investigators in
countries with less-than-open governments to be
effective in their collection of information
while protecting themselves, their data,and their
sources.  Citizen Lab in Toronto is an excellent
example of this approach.

3. Develop policy statements that are helpful in
understanding situations and that prescribe
realistic actions to improve the situation.  The
access paper of APC is a good example of such an
effort.

4. Develop educational programs that educate
people internationally regarding technology,
governance, economics -- whatever is necessary to
seed governments and other organizations with
people who understand an are or will be in
positions to affect the policies of their
governments.  The ICANN Studentkreis and Diplo
Foundation's instructional program in Internet
governance are good examples of this.

5. Work in the field, assisting groups and
countries with spreading technology and working
to provide affordable and available access to it
with commitments of confidentiality of
information.  McTim has spent a lot of time doing
exactly this.

This world isn't perfect.  Bad things happen,
very often not to the right people.   In the very
short run, we are often powerless to do anything
about it.  However, in the longer run, we can
work towards an environment, country by country,
ultimately at a global level, in which far fewer
bad things happen, and the set of ideals to which
most of us subscribe will be more broadly
respected and practiced.

This takes work.  Discussion is useful, but is
likely to be sterile unless followed by or
accompanied by significant action.  I argue that
the action should be directed toward achievable
goals, achievable relative to the mandate and the
resources of the organization, both in the short
and long run.

I trust that I've spelled out my opinions and
feelings sufficiently so that there will be no
further misinterpretation.

Regards,

George