[governance] the matter of MAG rotation 2010

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 18 11:50:14 EST 2010

Avri Doria wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2010, at 08:06, Parminder wrote:
>

>> i meant to say, 'erosion in the decision making capacity of the MAG'
>>

> >From where I sit, I don't see this - and I have been observing since day 1.  If anything i think its decision making capacity has grown.

Avri, This is said in the middle of, and strictly only with regard to, a
rather intense debate regarding what has been described as
do-we-even-need-a-MAG experiment. An experiment which is not just an
idea but has taken a rather strong force, as you would have followed on
the MAG list. The way towards checking (proving) this hypothesis is to
have only one MAG meeting in Feb, and have the other two meetings only
as planning meetings following the Sept 2009 'experiment'. The logic
presented is that apparently we really do not need these 2nd and 3rd MAG
meetings and open house assemblies would be enough.

I repeat, I never said anything about erosion of the decision making
capacity over the years (though decision-making capacity certainly was
not there in Sept 2009, because there was no MAG meeting and in this
regard nothing on the program sheet could be substantially changed,
though such changes could be, and were, made till and during Sept MAG
meetings in the earlier years.)

My comments are strictly within the above context. And i do think that
if this group primarily engages with the IGF, such an important move vis
a vis the only structured element of the IGF, i.e. MAG, should evoke
much greater engagement, than, in my humble opinion, has been seen on
this list.

It has been decided that this issue will also be put for the
consideration of the open consultation in Feb. Is IGC going to make a
statement on this issue?

Parminder