[governance] the matter of MAG rotation 2010

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 18 06:38:29 EST 2010

Hi Jeanette

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

>> Parminder has (as usual) voiced my concerns more eloquently than I
>> earlier did.  Even while there has been a MAG meeting three times a
>> year, important decisions have still been made without reference to
>> it.  I worry that, as little authority as the MAG has been allowed as
>> it is, the Secretariat is at least likely to let it out on a longer
>> leash than the open consultation meeting.  In my personal
>> (non-coordinator) view, management of the IGF is a case where some
>> (accountable, transparent) hierarchical structure is needed.
>
> As we perhaps all know by now, the MAG doesn't have any formal
> authority. Decisions are taken by the UNSG, and this is where, in my
> view, accountability for the IGF lies.
Does this mean that we dispense with whatever authority - hard of soft -
MAG even has got now? I did not get the logic. Also since we are
discussing what we want, the issue is whether we want UNSG to make all
decisions by itself, or be strongly influenced by the advise of , and in
that way be accountable to, a representative multistakeholder group -
and through it be accountable to different stakeholders. I ask
specifically, what is your stand on this?

> To open up the preparatory part of the IGF to those who organize
> workshops and are involved in main sessions is a very good thing in my
> view. I think we will have a hard time to make non-civil society
> people understand why we would opt for more rather than less hierarchy
> and closed rather than open processes.
>
> I don't think that keeping the preparatory stage of the IGF closed has
> any direct impact on the authority or responsibility of the MAG. I
> find it unfortunate to relate these two issues.
I find it even more unfortunate. I do not know why after so much
explanation it is still being projected that somehow we want more closed
MAG processes. I have kept saying we *do* want MAG processes to be more
open, and include greater outside participation. Jeremy also nowhere
said he wants them closed, did he. (In fact I know that he has been
seeking that MAG works on a publicly open e-list while, very
significantly, many of those who now are ready to experiment with
dispensing MAG did not support such a proposal. Chatham house rule has
been such a loved term. So who is for  more openness?)

 What we have been  saying is to preserve the decision-making capacity
of MAG and not foreclose it. We have also said that if MAG is not there
to actually convert stakeholder's views into actual decisions, there is
little point in increasing participation, when, as you say, in any case
UNSG will decide whatever he wishes to.

Parminder