[governance] IGC statement Para 2 REVISION 2.x

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun Jan 17 05:13:43 EST 2010

>On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>>  Mc Tim, you could also do a third sheet and put the various technical folk
>>  into PS, which is definitely where at least some of them belong. That would
>>  give another and different skew.
>
>I can do that if you tell me which ones and why.

Sunday, Nii?  Because they are businessmen...

But it's a little meaningless to talk about specific names.

I can see 4 people you have as civil society who are pretty
definitely business people.

Many MAG members have overlapping interests (I've been involved with
ISOC for almost 20 years and ICANN for 10, but when on the MAG and in
WSIS I've always been associated with civil society), but my guess is
those you have listed as both CS and tech community were presented to
the secretary general as primarily associated with the tech
community.  Perhaps there were bios noting any overlapping interest,
multiple "hats", or whoever made up a list for the SG took these
overlaps into consideration. But my experience is some of the tech
community folks lean towards CS, but many are pretty clearly aligned
with business.

I think the exercise of trying to divide people up a bit meaningless,
other than to show the dominance of government (but we know about
that, and it's been admitted as something that is likely to stay). If
civil society wants more members it should make a case for why based
on missing expertise, diversity etc, rather than saying there's too
many of someone else (though I don't really understand why there are
so many ccTLD folks, the individuals are great, but they hardly bring
enormous diversity in their linkages to wider communities.)

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org