[governance] IGC statement REVISION 2.0: any further comments?

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 05:22:26 EST 2010

*----- respectful interfaces e-memo Jeremy 011610 -----*

Dear Jeremy, and greetings All:

Thank you so much for undertaking this robust position statement for us and
everyone concerned.

A suggestion is that while it is great to show a variety of positions and
approaches, you might consider replacing the sense of dissent at some points
with a sense of "additionally."
This could serve to re-unify the *persona* conveyed, and really at the heart
of things we are essentially in unity.

Again, much appreciated, Linda M F.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> [...]
> the development of tangible outputs, even if these do not amount to
> recommendations, declarations or statements (though many of our members
> would support outputs of such kinds).  Whatever form its outputs take,
> efforts should be taken to ensure that they are transmitted to relevant
> external institutions, either by the MAG directly, through publications on
> the IGF's Web site, or through the media as appropriate.
>
> Similarly, there is a strong view within the IGC that in order to maximise
> its effectiveness, the IGF should have an intersessional work program,
> rather than being limited to a single annual meeting.  Many of our members
> believe that this should include the development of an ongoing work program
> for the IGF as a whole, to be carried on through online tools and
> intersessional and regional meetings.
>
> Others believe that the main responsibility for intersessional work can be
> left to dynamic coalitions (and perhaps other issue-specific working
> groups).  In that case, it is widely accepted that there should be a better
> mechanism than at present for these groups to present their outputs to the
> IGF as a whole.  This would require the IGF to begin to set more stringent
> standards for such groups, including open membership, democratic processes,
> and perhaps multi-stakeholder composition.
>
> We thank you for the opportunity to present you with these thoughts, which
> reflect a "rough consensus" of our several hundred members from civil
> society, with a wide spread of geographic and gender representation.  We
> look forward to continuing to constructively engage with and participate in
> the IGF over the course of its renewed term.
>
> About the IGC
>
> The IGC is an association of individuals in civil society who are actively
> engaged in internet governance and the IGF. Formed during the lead up to the
> World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), our mission is to promote
> global public interest objectives in Internet governance policy making. It
> now comprises more than 400 individual subscribers to its mailing list, who
> have subscribed to its Charter.  More about our coalition can be found at
> http://www.igcaucus.org.
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm
> Project Coordinator
> Consumers International
> Kuala Lumpur Office for Asia Pacific and the Middle East
> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
> Malaysia
> Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
>
> CI is 50
> Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in
> 2010.
> Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer
> rights around the world.
> http://www.consumersinternational.org/50
>
> Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless

- - - - -
LDMF.
Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
> 914 769 3652
> law /  computing / humanities:
> Founder/Director *Respectful Interfaces*;
> Member, Board, Secretary (Officer) - Communications Coordination Committee
for the
> U.N.;
> World Education Fellowship;
> Member Committees on disability, aging, health, values, development;
> President, National Disability Party (NDP); Steering Seat, International
Disability Caucus;
> Persons with Pain Intl., co-founded with Carol J. Levy;
> ICT multiple decades;
> Other affiliations on Request.
>
> n.b.:

> -  You are welcome to join *Respectful Interfaces.* The *Respectful
> Interfaces* Coda is: "Achieving Dialogue While Cherishing Diversity" (ask
> about event or continuing leadership interning).

> - Communication, Cooperation and Collaboration are core values of the
CCC/UN.

P.S. While still in initial development -  you are welcome to visit the
startup (not yet with alternative text or captioning) *Respectful
Interfaces* website  - in order to browse, make requests, join in, and send
suggestions to  respectful.interfaces at gmail.com.  To sample *respectful
Interfaces* as an enterprise framework, with references to CCC/UN and WEF,
click here: http://wp.me/PFqR6-K