[governance] Text of IRP Statement to Open Consultation for IGF

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 10:20:03 EST 2010

There has been considerable discussion of how we feel the Internet
Governance Forum (IGF) should be reformed. It seems that the Internet
Governance Caucus (IGC) would benefit from a similar consideration.

The statement that the IGC is trying to create needed to be started as
soon as the IGF was over. I wonder how many of us would have responded
then? I include myself among the delinquent, not least because the
task of the co-coordinators seemed to me to be established during the
recent election as being to facilitate rather than to lead. Therefore
anyone could have begun the process. I am personally ashamed that I
allowed myself to be sucked into a whirlpool of make-up teaching for
the time I was away, and examinations, and temporarily dropped the IGF
concerns because "somebody else" would do it.

I suspect that, having volunteered involvement, we need to be rigorous
in demanding of ourselves a consistent minimum commitment of time no
matter what else is going on. Certainly that will be necessary in the
time leading up to the Vilnius meeting which is now not much over half
of a year away. And we need to use part of that time to respond - even
if only to say "Yes" or "No".

So that's my "New Year resolution" - I really hope I can keep it.
Yes - even if it is now too late - for the IRP statement.
Best wishes to everyone for 2010
Deirdre

2010/1/15 Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com>:
> Here is the final version of the IRP Statement to the IGF. (below)
>
> Since there has been almost no response to this Call for Consensus, the IGC
> will not be able to endorse the written statement to be submitted today by
> the IRP. However, it is still important to review this document, as we can
> support it orally in the Open Consultations in Geneva in February.
>
> I repeat the suggestions made on the list that the IGC support appropriate
> statements by other groups. This one seems particularly appropriate for
> support by the IGC. However, without more vocal support on this list, we
> cannot endorse it.
>
> Best, Ginger

> Open Consultation IGF 2010
>
> INTERNET RIGHTS AND PRINCIPLES DYNAMIC COALITION Statement
>
> The comments below from the Internet Rights and Principles Dynamic Coalition
> are our contribution to the Open Consultations for IGF 2010. Each of the
> four themes below take stock of IGF 2009 by offering practical suggestions
> for the format and planning of IGF 2010.

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir
William Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979
     governance at lists.cpsr.org