[governance] the matter of MAG rotation 2010

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri Jan 15 04:42:16 EST 2010

Hi,

we discussed some of the implications you mention below.

This year's meetings following the February meeting could be regarded as
an experiment to find out if a MAG is needed at all. Perhaps open
planning meetings such as the one we had in September 2009 are
sufficient for setting the agenda; perhaps the need for some sort of
steering committee does arise, perhaps not.

Since it is unclear whether after 2010 there will be a new mandate for
an IGF and if so, whether the new IGF will continue to have a
secretariat and a non-bureau like preparatory structure, this year's
preparation seems to be a good opportunity to experiment with processes
that are more open and transparent and less burdensome. The annual
rotation does involve a lot of work for both the secretariat and all
stakeholder groups.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org