[governance] the matter of MAG rotation 2010

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Jan 14 13:08:43 EST 2010

Hi Jeremy,

On Jan 14, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:55:12 +0000, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu>
> wrote:
>> I argued that the MAG or the secretariat should not decide on this
>> matter without consulting the various stakeholder groups. This
>> afternoon, Markus and I discussed the options and we came up with a
>> third solution. Markus just sent the following message to the MAG list
>> and asked me to forward it to the caucus list as well. I expect the
>> caucus will be happy about the proposed solution?

I would

> Wearing my cynical hat, this may just mean that any of the decisions that
> would otherwise have been made by the MAG in May will be made by the
> Secretariat instead, rather than submitting them to the anarchy of the open
> consultation meeting.

How would that work?  Markus' message to the MAG suggests they meet a last time next month and set the agenda for the Vilnius meeting, and the program then would be fleshed out in two open planning meetings in May and June.  What decisions could the secretariat go off and make on its own without the two open planning meetings noticing, and why would it try to?

> But wearing my optimistic hat, I hope that this will
> not be the case and that this move will simply mean a more open planning
> process in May.

Bon chapeau...

Cheers,

Bill