[governance] IGC Written Contribution for IGF, deadline Jan 15

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jan 14 12:07:52 EST 2010

I hope that IGC is able to highlight the fact that while IGF Hyderabad
ended on a relatively high note where there seemed to be a consensus
that the IGF process should now move forward and try to become more
focussed and more purposive, IGF Sharm did not really take the promised
steps forward. The closing session at Hyderabad had clearly addressed
this imperative and gave enough outlines to push us towards a more
focussed and purposed approach - key issues based round tables was the
key format around which such an approach was anchored.

At Sharm nothing like this happened, and in fact Sharm was the first
time where some significant substantive or process innovation over the
earlier IGF did not take place. (I know this was also because of the
realpolitik around IGF renewal, but we need not play that tune, and say
what we have to say - observing and realting the facts as that stand.)
Merely saying things are going along well at the IGF is not what we may
want to project as our comments. IGF is supposed to help along global
policy making in the important IG space and I really do not see it going
anywhere at present in this regard. There are, no doubt, huge
possibilities, but civil society actors would need to do a lot of
pushing along for them to be realized. parminder

Ginger Paque wrote:
> [...]
>
> I have copied below the thread from the IRP Mailing list, that refers
> to their progress on a statement for the IGF OC for Feb., to be
> submitted as a written contribution by January 15th. This gives you an
> idea of where they are going. I will post the final draft when it is
> posted on the IRP list.
>
> I am not suggesting that we opine as to the content of the IRP
> statement. If anyone wants to do that, they should do so on the IRP
> list. All we will do is either support their statement or not,
> depending on IGC consensus.
>
> Thanks, gp
>

> [Fwd: Re: [IRP] IRP Statement to Open Consultation for IGF 2010]
>
> Dear Lisa and all,
>
> I'm comfortable with all the suggestions to the statement presented so
> far, but I feel deeply concerned with the adoption of the term "users"
> as a general category. Who are the everyday Internet users?
>
> I think we should stress the importance of assuring diversity of
> voices, of regional and linguistical representation, the participation
> of underepresented groups, etc, etc, but I see the proposal of
> bringing the "everyday internet users" to the IGF quite dangerous.
> Besides, I guess everyone who goes to the IGF is an everyday internet
> user.
>
> best,
> Graciela
>

> Lisa Horner escreveu:
>> Everyone, please send your ideas through for the Open Consultations.  We
>> should focus on practical suggestions for the 2010 agenda.  It's really
>> important that we get our ideas in now, before the agenda is agreed and
>> it's too late.  We need your ideas NOW as we need to draft a statement
>> and get it submitted by the 15th.
>>
>> I guess if no one has anything to add, we should keep it short and
>> succinct, focusing on human rights rather than the process issues.
>>
>> In addition to my previous comments, I'd like to add another...
>>
>> The IGF (including regional and international) needs to find ways of
>> better involving everyday internet users in the discussions, and of
>> improving participation from developing countries.  This is particularly
>> important if we are to uphold human rights in and through IG - users
>> need to know what their rights are and how to claim them, as well as
>> contribute to the formation of policies that affect them.
>>
>> In terms of practical suggestions of how this might happen....
>> A main session on what users need from the IGF, including discussion of
>> how to better include users in any future incarnations of the IGF?
>> Session organizers agreeing to consult with users, and explaining how
>> they have on feedback forms/in session reports?  National IGFs
>> formalizing participation from users, including outreach
>> and information campaign?
>> Setting up some kind of portal/interface for everyday users to explain
>> ideas and needs?
>> More focus on the discussion RE funding for a wider range of

>>> ciao