[governance] PLEASE RESPOND - draft statement on reform of the

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 08:37:18 EST 2010

Dear Jeanette,

I will be out of electricity and power again for another two hours so
before that happens, I wanted to share this during the para by para
observation:

1. Where it says CS concern about Human Rights, please clarify also
that we members of IGC both in the Open Consultations and the MAG
meetings as well as the IGF have stressed for the need of the HR and
IG development agenda.

2. Please mention the statistics of the current MAG membership to show
if CS composition in comparison to Governments and Private Sectors.

3. Accountability and the actual management of the IGF secretariat
under the UNDESA should be kept in mind that is being practised but is
wrongly mentioned in the statement.

I will give more comments as I get access to electricity and internet again!

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> I would suggest to delete the following para below which is the second
> substantial para of the draft statement:
>
> However given that the IGF is not a traditional governmental organisation,
> it is important to ensure that its Secretariat and MAG are adequately
> accountable to the IGF's non-governmental stakeholders. Within the IGC,
> there are various views on how this can be best assured.  Some believe that
> the Secretariat should have a level of accountability to the MAG.  Others
> feel that it would improve the MAG's accountability if its members were
> taken to represent the stakeholder groups (but not the particular
> stakeholders) who appointed them.
>
> Here is my reason: formally, the secretariat is accountable to the UNSG. The
> para above suggests instead that the secretariat is either accountable to no
> one or it is accountable to the stakeholder groups but not in a sufficient
> manner. Both options seem misleading to me.
>
> Since there is no strong message in this para anyway, I think we don't lose
> much if we simply skip it.
>
> jeanette

Regards.
--------------------------
Fouad Bajwa
Advisor & Researcher
ICT4D & Internet Governance
Member Multistakeholder Advisory Group (IGF)
Member Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC)
My Blog: Internet's Governance
http://internetsgovernance.blogspot.com/
Follow my Tweets:
http://twitter.com/fouadbajwa