[governance] Draft statement - preamble

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 14 00:20:00 EST 2010

I think the "we" here is correct. Not only in the should but also in the "do". But I also see that as individuals and not as this cadre. It would be nice to think that we all "fellowship" here and then return better for it to our respective areas of contribution to governance.

It appears to me that this list influenced Avri in her chairing of the ICANN naming group. I know I have given advice how to work within some governance and without based upon knowledge gleened here. Also in the reverse it is true that my work against some governments and with others has influenced my contributions here. Most academic types here seem to "float" ideas here that I later see in papers. I believe that our contributions and input(advice?) reaches ears intended when those in the throws of bad governance air the travesties here.

But at this point I dare say that giving us a seat in any group of a government would be more a distraction and impediment than a tool for progress.  The most powerful voice and position in any governance that is ligitimate, is reason. As is seen, even amoung us, our leaders are but trusted servants. We follow for the sake of a civil society and respectful interface in keeping with UN tradition and in furtherance of Universal Rights.