[governance] PLEASE RESPOND - draft statement on reform of the

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 14:24:09 EST 2010

David,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:48 PM, David Souter <david.souter at runbox.com> wrote:
> Dear Jeremy:
>

> I think there is a question here about IGC membership and how the IGC
> presents itself.
>

> According to the Charter, “the members of the IGC are individuals, acting in
> personal capacity, who subscribe to the charter of the caucus.  All members
> are equal and have the same rights and duties.”
>

> Can it really, therefore, introduce itself as “a global coalition of civil
> society and non governmental organisations and individuals”, as in the
> preamble to this draft?

I also object to this (and to a variety of other things in the statement).

The full sentence reads:

"The Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) is a global coalition of civil
society and non governmental organisations and individuals actively
involved the UN’s Internet Governance Forum (IGF) process."

I thought the caucus was about Internet Governance and not about
talking about Internet Governance.  Aligning ourselves solely with the
IGF is tantamount to saying we don't really DO Internet Governance.

As discussed previously (ad nauseum) I have a more generous definition
of CS than some on this list, so I don't think that the MAG is
"slanted towards particular stakeholder groups".

Nor do I think that the IGF "ought to improve its orientation towards
the development of tangible outputs".

I think the national and regional IGFs are the "intersessional work program".

In addition, I hardly think that your survey methodology (already
critiqued by others) is the basis for even "rough" consensus.

On the whole, I have to say no to this statement.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org