[governance] TR: ICANN Fellowship Program

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 12 17:16:46 EST 2010

Rui and David,

Sometimes language does not fit your dictionaries so well.  I first noticed the term itinerary while in Paris in 1975. Did not think about it much. It was used to show us the general schedule of events. Yes it was misused but everyone knew what it meant and there were at least 10 languages attending. Saw it again at a trade-show in Hanoi, 2001 and again at SunMicro with a Stanford affiliation seminar/webinar conference. As I thought about it -- I saw it quite a bit in the 80's and 90's from Telluride to Tel Aviv.

This particular word seemed to get it's legs in the tourism to business tourism and into the event planning lingo as it was generally understood in areas where the conferences would take place do to surrounding economies based on international tourism.

Fellowship actually has the same basic transborder understandings. Mainly due to the international exchange student tourism model.

So fastidious arguments regarding exact definitions are really not helpful in making contributions to governance.