[governance] TR: ICANN Fellowship Program

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Jan 12 08:06:36 EST 2010

I suspect the intention has been to create
something more than just a travel support grant.
The "fellows" are required to attend daily
briefings while at the ICANN meeting and to be
active in meeting sessions, write a report, show
value they have taken back from the meeting.  By
take back, I mean something that has an input to
a larger group (ccTLD, government, some
community) so their participation isn't just a
one-off personal benefit. At least that's my
understanding.

Very easy to give someone a ticket and cover
their hotel costs and not put any support
programmes in place, and ICANN did that for a
couple of years in the early part of the decade
(it had some value, but could have done more, I
know a few on this list who benefited.)  The
Fellowship Program is trying to do something
more, and has good feedback so perhaps it's
working.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org