[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 8 01:45:02 EST 2010

Parminder wrote:

> Roland Perry wrote:
>> I wonder how many people on this list would wish that governments got
>> themselves organised, and [attempted to] sort out all the perceived ills
>> on the Internet, on the grounds that they believe the current mechanisms
>> were failing their collective citizens?
>>
> or maybe the question is
>
> How many on the list believe that the Internet, in the directions that
> it is taking, may exacerbate entrenched structural advantaged and
> disadvantages, It is therefore important to have pulbic interest
> policies to ensure "realization of internationally agreed human
> rights, social equity and interdependence, cultural concerns, and both
> social and economic development" (from IGC's charter). And such
> policies are only possible if there are adequate public policy
> mechanisms, and therefore such mechanisms should be organised as soon
> as possible before it is too late. Obviously governments will have to
> play an important in any such mechanisms, but these mechanisms should
> be much more widely participative, follow global HR and other
> socio-political norms, be based on clearly articulated principles
> (constitutionalism) and not be ad-hoc, transparent and involve a
> strong role of civil society organizations.
>

> BTW, would like to have an IGC vote between the two propositions. We
> can propose a question - which of the two formulations in your view
> more correctly describes the situation vis a vis the current evolution
> of the Internet, need (or not) for public policies, and the role of
> governments in this relation.
>
> parminder
>> And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is most of the IG debate in a nutshell.

Which I consider is an ideologically committed attempt to rig the IG
space and debate (as I have arguned often earlier, also citing it as a
reason why many of us arent speaking up for IGF reform when the time is
ripe). I would argue instead that the propositon I wrote is 'most of the
IG debate in a nutshell'

parminder