[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Jan 7 09:09:48 EST 2010

In message <F9A5545095B749C0A18CABB699E483FD at userPC>, at 05:28:08 on
Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes
>Well, as Margaret Thatcher (in)famously said at one point, "there is no
>society" (and thus presumably no "social/public interest") and then she and
>her accolytes proceeded to ensure through policy and process that her wish
>was made flesh to the continuing detriment of all.

        "I think we've been through a period where too many people have
        been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the
        government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a
        grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're
        casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no
        such thing as society."

So it's nothing to do with "social/public interest", but whether or not
people can expect a magic financial crutch to support them in their
adversity. It's almost exactly the same set of issues as the current USA
healthcare debate.

I wonder how many people on this list would wish that governments got
themselves organised, and [attempted to] sort out all the perceived ills
on the Internet, on the grounds that they believe the current mechanisms
were failing their collective citizens?

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is most of the IG debate in a nutshell.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org