[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Jan 7 03:52:07 EST 2010

In message <F2011E85-3298-4E9F-9AA3-D46BD87B1DD9 at psg.com>, at 23:41:52
on Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> writes
>to avoid confusion i think the Net Neutrality (NN) must be restricted
>to issues of content, source or protocol port and not bandwidth.

In other words, all that it means is "no blocking".

While that's a valuable concept, why invent a [confusing] new name for
it? Most discussions of NN that I've seen embrace the concept that one
kind of content would merely be given priority over another (so
disdavantaged traffic is delivered slower, rather than delivered never).

The way the end-user perceives such a disadvantage is indistingushable
from throttled bandwidth.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org