[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Jan 3 21:53:16 EST 2010

McTim, everyone,

1st a nit: Google's patents are a matter of public record, like everyone's (when issued).

Of course really people including Parminder and Thomas are more curious/concerned about Google's latest 'secret sauce' tweaked algorithms which are trade secrets and McTim is right they have no obligation nor motivation to share secrets. As has also been noted, the whole idea is not to be neutral but to bias search  in one way or another ie, either for financial reasons of Google or for usability  of their customers. Fine. They're a business, we would assume they are trying to make money from their customers.  So forget search neutrality, ain't happening.

Next, and main point: as Ralf pointed out, 'networks' exist at all levels of the stack and of human society (and amongst consenting devices).

So 'net neutrality' is....amongst ISPs and their customers. But wait, not including mobile ISPs. Or them too? But not amongst IAPs (application providers) like Google right. So if you're operating in the cloud providing applications as a service across the Internet...what are you exactly from a neutral net point of view?

Anyway, I don't mean to confuse folks, except to point out that if search neutrality is an oxymoron....well draw your own conclusions re net neutrality. IMHO.

Lee