[governance] Where do we want to go with this discussion on search neutrality?

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 07:17:49 EST 2010

The discussion started off as a posting on interesting reading on the
subject and we are now already on thought control and what we are
allowed to read, which I believe is an extreme exaggeration of
anything that Google might be capable of or would want to do!

What exactly is the issue with Google's personal data policy?

Google cannot have any information on you that you or an institution
allowed to have your data does not put out there. So, if your paycheck
all of a sudden becomes public knowledge, don't blame google - blame
your employer, your social security institutions or your government.
If you social security details are out there, as happened in the UK
not too long ago, don't blame google. Blame inept network and server
management and poor security. And what exactly is Germany up to with
its ELENA System, retaining Germans' payroll data in one central
government controlled server? In a networked world there will be a
leak before they even get it fully operational. If Peter Schaar, who
heads Germany's Data Protection and Freedom of Information Commission
is concerned, then we should too. What does google have to do with
that?

There is legislation out on access to personal data, so if there have
been violations, we have recourse.

What is the issue if google favours products of xyz comany?

Is that not the norm at the supermarket? Don't they get paid to place
Avis Chocolates in a more visible position that Siva Chocolates? When
you get your supermarket flier in your newspaper do you find any of
the lesser known products or do you find the big sellers? Why can I
use my frequent flier card on some airlines and not others?

Whatever you are looking for is there. However, business pay a lot of
money to ensure that their products come up first. Other pay for
prominence. Brand promotion and advertising are integral elements of
business.

Now, if Google is deliberately concealing or omitting results, that
would be a case for concern. Is there any evidence that this occurs?

What about all this talk about competitors going out because of the
google onslaught?

That is the market, isn't it? Besides for genuine dominant player
abuse and monopoly concerns, if a business goes belly up because it
can't compete with the competition, that it means it wasn't good
enough or they lost touch with the users. Where is AltaVista? It was
bigger then Google. Same with browsers, where is NetScape? We have
businesses going under all the time. Where are all the sweets,
biscuits and drinks your used to enjoy as a kid? Most o them are gone.
And we have NEW ones coming up all the time. Netscape is gone, but we
now have Opera, Firefox, Safari etc. There are a hundred search
engines out there. And there is nothing to stop a small player from
becoming a giant. The world is full of such examples.

And Google, with all the acquisitions, NEVER bought out a search
competitor to corner the market - yes, it bought out other operators
that enabled its system to deploy the various add-ons, but it does not
buy search engine users. Which is not what we can say for Coca-Cola,
SABMiller and others that grow not out of conquering customers one by
one, but by buying up or merging with competitors.

So before talking of regulations and whatever else, should we as civil
society not be looking at self-regulation? If there is enough concern,
then why can't we work with the search engines for a code of conduct
for the industry? A consumer ombud for each search engine and a
council for the industry with wide representation as is the case (for
example) with the German public broadcaster?

Best regards,

and a great 2010 for everybody.

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,