[governance] Parminder's exchange with Bertrand

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Feb 24 14:14:57 EST 2010

MS is not the goal, it is a means to an end. The idea that govts represent individuals is laughable, when individuals can participate directly and speak for themselves. Which they can in a MS environment. So yes, let's retain both the rhetoric and the reality of MS, but let's not reify it as an end in itself.

> Yes, each of the Stakeholders needs to find a democratic
> foundation and there has to be a fair and representative
> relationship in relation to the governance, an we need to
> make sure that we do not limit the number of character of the
> stakeholder groups - there may be more the 3/4/5 currently
> defined in Internet governance.  but blatant
> individual-votism will just bring up back to the old notions
> that it is the nation state that is the individual's
> representative and support those who think Ig is just a
> matter of multilateral decision making.

I have never before been accused of being an advocate of nation-states. This is a first!
;-)

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org
     governance at lists.cpsr.org