[governance] Parminder's exchange with Bertrand

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 07:38:10 EST 2010

Dear all,

Following Jeanette's comments on Milton's remarks, there are ambiguities
around the terms "stakeholders" and "multi-stakeholders" that must be
clarified, as I've expressed in previous exchanges with Karl Auerbach on
this topic.

"Stakeholders" is often understood as meaning the three (or four, or five
...) *"stakeholder groups"* or constituencies : governments, civil society,
business (plus technical community, and IGOs). According to this approach,
"multi-stakeholder" governance looks a little bit like the ILO
(International Labor organization) with the three constituencies of
governments, employers and trade unions, each in their respective
structures. in a certain way, ICANN is still structured very much in this
way, with what I have often described as the "silo structure" that too often
prevent real interaction among actors. The two notions : "stakeholders" and
"stakeholders groups" need to be clearly distinguished : "stakeholders" is a
broader and more diverse notion.

"Stakeholders" is also often understood (by Karl Auerbach in particular) as
meaning i*nstitutional organizations only* (ie incorporated structures, be
they public authorities, corporations or NGOs), limiting or even forbidding
therefore the participation of individuals. I have repeatedly mentioned that
this does not need to be the case and that individuals should have the
possibility to participate with appropriate modalities in multi-stakeholder
governance frameworks. The IGF in that respect is a very useful example with
its open registration policy that allows individuals. Important established
structures (governments, businesses, NGOs) with internal consultation and
decision-making processes are relevant stakeholders, but individuals too.

The corollary of the participation of individuals is that in the decision
shaping phases of multi-stakeholder processes, such individuals can
represent viewpoints and not necessarily groups of people. Provided they are
contributing, they should not be required to demonstrate specific
representation credentials (hence the classical question : but who do they
really represent ? is moot, and akin to the "how many divisions has the Pope
?"). Any person with something to contribute should be allowed to do so
because it informs the processes and the general understanding of an issue.
The purpose of such phases is to shape issues in the most comprehensive
manner, taking into account the perspective of all actors who have a stake
in it. And in such cases, for instance, an old white man from a developed
country can perfectly have a good knowledge of the challenges of gender for
youth in poor countries and try to ensure that this perspective is taken
into account in the discussions even if no "representative" from such
communities is present. However, actual representatives of the different
interests are needed in the decision-making phase that follows, and
established institutions and structures may have a specific role to play
here. .

This leads to a better understanding of "multi-stakeholderism". In this
context, Milton actually presents a very valid vision, up to the last bit of
the paragraph  :

MS is at best a transitional phase implying a motion from purely
intergovernmental toward a more open, democratic forms of global governance.
In this progression, we need to have a clearer idea of what the end point
is - and MS is not it. In a world of perfect global governance
the artificial division of society into "estates" such as
"government, business and civil society" no longer exists; it is the
individual that matters.

Yes, what is at stake is the invention of a truly open, democratic form of
global governance. And yes, actors must not be artificially divided into
separate estates that are too rigid and prevent their interaction. (This is
why the Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group for the IGF is better than three
"Bureaus" for each group). And yes, governance should be based on the right
for any actor, including individuals, to participate in an appropriate
manner in the governance processes dealing with the issues he/she has a
stake in (is impacted by or concerned with).

However, multi-stakeholderism should not be understood as necessarily
meaning interaction between separate stakeholder groups, each drafting their
own statements to reconcile them later on. Furthermore, I do not believe
that the future of global governance is the generalization at the
international level of the kind of representative democracy that already
reaches some limits at lower scales. The election by 7 billion individuals
of a World President or even Parliament is not the solution.

This is why we must consider the different structures or groups that
individuals participate in as vectors of the representation of their diverse
interests. A single individual has different stakes in an issue - sometimes
conflicting - and would benefit from having its different perspectives
carried forward in international discussions by a diversity of actors. To
take the example of environmental issues, citizens do not want their country
to be penalized versus others in the global regime regarding CO2 emissions,
and therefore want their government to actively defend their rights. But
conscious of the future challenges for their family or the planet as a
whole, they may want an activist NGO to be part of the discussions to exert
some pressure in favor of a binding rule. Additionally, as maybe the
employees of companies in an industry that has to support an important
effort to adapt its activity, they fear that the global regime will impact
their jobs and therefore want the said company or its trade group to
participate as well. Finally, they may want to ensure that any decision is
taken on a sound technical and scientific analysis, which requests expert
participation.  Etc... On such global topics, individuals have in fact
several stakeholderships in an issue, and citizenship is one of them. A
major one, but only one of them, as the global public interest is not the
mere aggregation of national public interests.

In such a perspective, the challenge for all of us, including governmental
representatives, is to avoid limiting our understanding of
"multi-stakeholder governance" to the separated silo approach, and to
explore/invent the mechanisms through which all stakeholders can,
collectively and collaboratively (I would even say "collegially"), "develop
and implement shared regimes" on specific issues. As I have often said in
the IGF context, the "respective roles" of the different stakeholders should
vary according to the issue, the venue and the state of the discussion.

This means designing processes for decision-shaping (agenda-setting,
issue-framing, recommendation drafting), decision-making (verification of
consensus, validation), and implementation (agency, monitoring and
enforcement). The IGF and ICANN are the two major laboratories where this
discussion takes place. And this list, as exemplified by these exchanges is
one of the places, if not the main one, where the political theory
discussion can actually take place.

I hope this helps move the discussion forward.

Best

Bertrand

PS : the above comments are of course made on a personal basis.