[governance] Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 10:33:41 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Gadi Evron <gadi at anime.org> wrote:
> Hello folks, I hope this message is not considered off-topic, if it is
> please let me know.

I think it is as much on topic as most posts!

> The email portability bill has just been approved by the Knesset's committee
> for legislation, sending it on its way for the full legislation process of
> the Israeli parliament.
>
> While many users own a free email account, many in Israel still make use of
> their ISP's email service.
>
> According to this proposed bill, when a client transfers to a different ISP
> the email address will optionally be his to take along, "just like" mobile
> providers do today with phone numbers.

WOW

> This new legislation makes little technological sense, and will certainly be
> a mess to handle

Indeed, a real mess.

operationally as well as beurocratically, but it certainly
> is interesting, and at least the notion is beautiful.

as well as counter to the way email works.

Is it my imagination, or will Provider A (who has lost a customer) be
forever required to do work on behalf of Provider B, who has gained a
customer?

--
Cheers,

McTim