[governance] REVISION 4 Draft statement to UNSG on bypassing CSTD

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 09:06:44 EST 2010

My point too. If we expect others to respect the diversity of languages used
by civil society and generally online, then we need to be seen to be
offering that respect ourselves.
And I expect we would also like to be clearly understood by everyone, no
matter which language they may feel comfortable in.
Deirdre

On 21 February 2010 09:22, Fearghas McKay <fm-lists at st-kilda.org> wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2010, at 13:56, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy wrote:
>
>  How many Civil Society statements are drafted and sent to the Secretary
>> General on this issue?  Why are we so worried about the length of the
>> statement when it is not verbose by any standards and when there aren't too
>> many statements from Civil Society on this issue? The IGC is making this
>> statement on behalf of most of its several CS members, so it is ok if the
>> statement is long enough to include the facts, arguments and express all our
>> concerns.
>>
>> Brevity without sufficient reason is unnecessary and would leave so much
>> unsaid.
>>

> I am not arguing for reducing the size of the statement in total, just that
> the sentences are too long and complex.
>
> Breaking them up will make the document longer whilst making it easier to
> comprehend and translate accurately.
>

> Regards

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979