[governance] REVISION 2 Draft statement to UNSG on bypassing

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 17 07:08:57 EST 2010

Jeremy,

You may consider these comments too late in the day and may ignore them.
I havent reached Bangalore yet after the open consultations and thus the
delay.

However if you are still considering major changes i would suggest that
we make a simple though strong statement that IGF review should be an
elaborate process with MS involvement, and it is but appropriate that UN
Secy Gen's recommendations based on the formal consultations with IGF
participants at Sharm is presented to the CSTD before it is reviewed by
ECOSOC and then the UN Gen Assembly which makes the final decision. CSTD
clearly has a formal role in WSIS follow up as per section 105 of TA,
and IGF review is obviously a part of WSIS review.

We can add that the CSTD forum gives a relatively  greater
multistakeholder (MS) involvement.

However I wont harp too much on this point, in this representation. I am
really not sure how much more MS is CSTD than other UN forums in Geneva/
New York. Does someone has full information on this? I do know that a
temporary window was created to involve all WSIS accredited
organizations (when does this end) but perhaps not much more. Even at
CSTD CS is present only as an observer and speaks only in allocated
slots, in the end. We are also not formally involved in drafting
processes, though informal practices may operate (sometimes). So while
we may make this point, I dont think we should push it too much.

In fact, in making the statement it might be best to stress the CSTD
factor, since CSTD is formally assigned to do WSIS follow up and not so
much the MS point (which should follow form implication) because  TA
para  76 clearly says that UN Secy Gen after formal consultations with
IGF participants will 'make recommendations to the UN membership'. We
can say that CSTD, like ECOSOC is extension of the UN membership review
system.

parminder