[governance] Google's fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) networks

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Feb 16 22:10:23 EST 2010

Rui

I agree with your concerns Rui. We seem to moving towards a situation
where 'google is the Internet' for many practical purposes. If we do
remember the maxim of 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' we can see
that we are headed towards major regulatory issues which need to be
taken cognizance of early. However I do feel that in the US, which is
illegitimately the digital regulation capital of the world, Google seems
to have too much influence with the new ruling dispensation. In any case
such is the hold of neoliberal beliefs that it is almost certain that -
like in the case of the financial meltdown - the world will have to wait
for major crises before the needed (democratic) global regulation of
digital spaces begins to take shape. Parminder