[governance] Google Buzz Has Completely Changed the Game: Here’s How

Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google tracyhackshaw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 19:42:49 EST 2010

Click on http://mashable.com/2010/02/14/google-buzz-column/ if you can't
read the Rich Text email below.

 Google Buzz Has Completely Changed the Game: Here’s How
 Buzz this!1908 <http://bit.ly/c99eP2>
 573Share<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2F2010%2F02%2F14%2Fgoogle-buzz-column%2F&t=Google%20Buzz%20Has%20Completely%20Changed%20the%20Game%3A%20Here%E2%80%99s%20How&src=sp>
email <http://mashable.com/2010/02/14/google-buzz-column/#>
share <http://mashable.com/2010/02/14/google-buzz-column/#>

*GMAIL USERS: We hope you’ll join the discussion over on Mashable’s Google
Buzz account <http://google.com/profiles/mashable>.*

*The Social Analyst <http://mashable.com/tag/the-social-analyst> is a weekly
column by Mashable Co-Editor Ben Parr <http://twitter.com/benparr>, where he
digs into social media trends and how they are affecting companies in the
space.*

Google[image: Google] <http://www.blippr.com/apps/336661-Google> may have
finally figured out social media, even if there have been some major
slip-ups in the way. The implications of that realization could dramatically
change social media as a tool and as an industry.

On Tuesday, February 9th, Google launched Buzz for
Gmail<http://mashable.com/2010/02/09/google-buzz/>,
a service for sharing thoughts, multimedia, and your social media feeds with
your friends utilizing Gmail[image:
Gmail]<http://www.blippr.com/apps/336653-Gmail> as
the conduit. The result: over 160,000 Google Buzz posts and comments per
hour <http://mashable.com/2010/02/11/google-buzz-9-million/>.

It’s becoming increasingly clear that Google didn’t launch a small addition
to Gmail — no, it has dropped a nuclear bomb whose fallout will permanently
alter the social media landscape. I could never have predicted that it would
become so popular so fast when I first learned about
it<http://mashable.com/2010/02/08/google-gmail-social-event/>
.

Why? Why has it grown so rapidly? Why has it riled up such strong emotions
on both sides? Are the privacy issues going to permanently damage Google?
And most of all, what does Google Buzz[image: Google
Buzz]<http://www.blippr.com/apps/577072-Google-Buzz> mean
for Twitter, Facebook, and the rest of the social media world?

I’m going to tackle all of these questions and more in this week’s in-depth
column.
------------------------------
 Google Buzz’s Skyrocketing Usage
------------------------------

While it’s still very early into Buzz’s life cycle, initial indications show
that Google has a hit on its hands. Linking Buzz to Gmail’s millions of
users has clearly brought people into the company’s new social domain.

Google has only released two numbers so far: there have been over 9 million
posts and comments in about 56 hours, amounting to around 160,000 posts and
comments per hour. That’s even more impressive if you consider the fact that
most users didn’t get Buzz until Wednesday the 10th.

The other number: over 200 mobile check-ins per minute, nearly*300,000
mobile check-ins per day*.

Those numbers are simply stellar.
------------------------------
 Why Have Users Embraced Buzz?
------------------------------

 It’s a question that has both simple and complex answers: why has Google
Buzz taken off as a service (thus far) in ways that Orkut[image:
Orkut]<http://www.blippr.com/apps/409143-Orkut>
, Google Friend Connect[image: google friend
connect]<http://www.blippr.com/apps/338262-google-friend-connect>,
and Google’s other attempts at social media did not?

Let’s start with the most obvious one, and one I think was a brilliant move,
despite the privacy issues: *it’s wired directly into Gmail*. With a flip of
a switch, Buzz gained tens of millions of users. With the Buzz tab just
directly under “Inbox,” the service creating its own unread count, and Buzz
emails flooding inboxes, how could people not try it out?

The embrace goes deeper than that, though. I asked the Mashable Buzz
community the following:

“Why do think Google Buzz has gained traction so
quickly?<http://www.google.com/buzz/mashable/cU3egmDRcnk/Question-Why-do-think-Google-Buzz-has-gained>
What’s
the #1 reason you find yourself using Buzz?”

Here are some of the responses we received that I believe really sum up
Buzz’s popularity:

- Adrian Eden <http://www.google.com/profiles/102924334397307587141#buzz>:
Ease of use and simple interface

- Eyal Herlin <http://www.google.com/profiles/113926592944097514098#buzz> –
it just works for me. i like the zero effort setup and the making of
connections easy

- Sheldon Steiger<http://www.google.com/profiles/118004598455842573859#buzz> –
#1? It’s embedded into Gmail. After that, it seems to be exposing me to
people and subjects that were not readily visible in the other networks.

- Roy Ruhling <http://www.google.com/profiles/115162893866271034521#buzz> –
On a scale of 1-10 for “socialness” of social networks Twitter is about a 3,
Facebook is about a 4 and Buzz is about a 9. It honestly and truly connects
people from all over the world instantaneously

- Daniel L <http://www.google.com/profiles/103871859745163442086#buzz> – The
main reason buzz is growing so quickly is because it is easily accessible to
Gmail’s large and already established user base. Normally, Gmail is the one
site i always have open because it has my calendar, my to do list, and my
chat all in one window. Because of this, i always see when i have new Buzz,
and i will tend to check it and respond. This is the #1 reason i use it —
convenience.

*Summary:* Easy to use, accessible, convenient, closer social circle, moves
in real-time, engaging…

*Google’s got a monster on its hands.*
------------------------------
 Addressing the Privacy Issue
------------------------------

 One of the obstacles to Google Buzz’s growth — and a major point of
criticism — has been the privacy issue. Since it’s linked directly into
Gmail, people can figure out your email address. Since it auto-followed your
most emailed friends, people could figure out your email habits.

All of these issues are legitimate, but here’s the thing: *Google is
responding with lightning speed*. Yesterday the search giant made some
serious privacy tweaks <http://mashable.com/2010/02/13/google-buzz-changes/>,
making auto-follow into auto-suggest and giving you the ability to
completely kill Buzz if you so choose.

In a few months, few will remember these privacy snafus. Just as people have
forgotten about the Facebook News Feed
fiasco<http://mashable.com/2006/09/08/facebook-gets-egg-on-its-face-changes-news-feed-feature/>
and
other Facebook disasters, people will forgive and forget about Buzz’s
initial privacy concerns.

In that sense, Google will get the best of both worlds: it has seeded Google
Buzz with people and content via the auto-follow and automatic opt-in
features, but it won’t feel the heat for privacy issues due to the recent
changes to both. It may have been unintended, but it was savvy.
------------------------------
 The Potential Impact on Twitter and Facebook
------------------------------

Now that we’ve established that Google Buzz is growing and isn’t likely to
go anywhere anytime soon, it’s time to look towards what will happen next.

If Google Buzz is here to stay, what does that mean for the two kingpins of
social media, Twitter <http://mashable.com/tag/twitter>[image:
Twitter]<http://www.blippr.com/apps/336651-Twitter>
 andFacebook <http://mashable.com/category/facebook>[image:
Facebook]<http://www.blippr.com/apps/336650-Facebook>
?

If you don’t think both companies haven’t had constant meetings over the
potential impact of Buzz, then you are kidding yourselves. There’s no way
both companies don’t have people analyzing scenarios and Google’s plan for
its social media wunderkind.

To analyze the potential impact of Buzz on both services, lets look at the
key questions for Twitter and Facebook, and some possible answers:

*Q: Will Buzz Kill either Facebook or Twitter?*