[governance] Google's fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) networks

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 05:55:36 EST 2010

Dear all

Is this not going to atract anti-trust/ cross-ownership attention?

Google has announced plans to build a number of trial fibre-to-the-home
(FTTH) networks in communities across the US, claiming that it will provide
broadband at downlink speeds of up to 1Gbps. James Kelly, project manager on
Google's infrastructure team, said: ‘We are doing this because we want to
experiment with new ways to make the web better and faster for everyone,
allowing new applications that aren't possible today. We are going to try
out new ways to build and operate fibre networks and share what we learn
with the world.’

http://telecomafrica.blogspot.com/2010/02/google-to-build-fibre-optic-network.html

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,