[governance] IGF, ECOSOC and WSIS III

Renate Bloem (Gmail) renate.bloem at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 12:51:22 EST 2010

Dear Wolfgang and list members,

As one who in the last two years has only observed this list from far, but
has been involved and battled for civil society since day one in the WSIS
and its outcomes, allow me to make a few observations:

First: I do agree with Wolfgang that the "multistakeholderism" was the
biggest conceptual achievement from WSIS. This was largely due to the
extraordinary expertise that "stakeholders" other than governments brought
into the process. It is also true, that there are trends to move us backward
again, now that some of these governments have developed their own
expertise.

Second: Yes, there are different "spirits" in Geneva and New York. There is
more openness in Geneva due to a long process of clear UN/NGO consultative
arrangements, which NGOs have used to their utmost advantage. For example we
have moved today from observers to "stakeholders" in the Human Rights
Council, a direct subsidiary of the General Assembly (same level as the
Security Council) to which in general we have no institutional arrangements
(with speaking rights, interactive dialogue, written statements, official
panel participation and, depending on governments, to negotiations of
resolutions)But we also still complain of not getting enough time.

In New York, NGOs have developed their own arrangements, e.g. the so called
"Arias Consultations" with the Security Council or "Hearings" with the
General Assembly. NGOs there also are often much more concerned about the
role of the private sector than that of governments.

Third, and what I want to say is: before taken next steps (and I do agree
you should and write a statement in favour of the CSTD) to have a good look
at some analysis writings of why the Cardoso report failed, e.g. here
http://www.britannica.com/bps/additionalcontent/18/22031890/The-Cardoso-Repo
rt-on-the-UN-and-Civil-Society-Functionalism-Global-Corporatism-or-Global-De
mocracy. When I used the term NGO, I mean, as in the article, all of civil
society.

Fourth and last: In rushing through the verbatim of last week's
consultation, I also suggest to take up Finland's remarks about CSTD's role
in negotiating the resolution on WSIS follow up for ECOSOC, also follow
George Papadatos whether ECOSOC Bureau has already discussed this issue and
under which item. BTW, if you have ECOSOC status, you can also speak, lobby
and circulate language at ECOSOC Substantive Session in July.

All the best,

Renate
-------

Renate Bloem
Past President of CONGO
Civicus UN Geneva
Tel:/Fax +33450 850815/16
Mobile : +41763462310
renate.bloem at civicus.org
renate.bloem at gmail.com

CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
PO BOX 933, 2135, Johannesburg, South Africa
www.civicus.org