[governance] Re: Remote Participation Instructions for the MAG

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Feb 9 06:20:54 EST 2010

Hello Bernard,

thank you, and thanks to all of the others (Patrik Fältström, for
example), who have tried to have some kind of remote participation
set-up. This is not meant as a criticism of anyone, just a provocative
remark to get some people to open their eyes, rather than bathing each
other in congratulatory, back-patting, empty speech.

The trouble is that I've never managed to get the video/audio feed to work.
For one, they don't work with Firefox.
And then it appears that there's not enough bandwidth somewhere along
the line...
I can get Webex, Skype, Marratech, Adobe Meeting, and Jabber to work
perfectly, even with 2-way video, and yet, remote participation at this
meeting = nil.

Whatever, remote participation, for me, currently rates at 0/10. ie. non
existent.

Any remote participation system should be designed for 100s of remote
participants, and should not fail when more than 10 people connect
simultaneously...

My question: with the whole point of the IGF being multi-stakeholder
public participation, why is this subject not being dealt with in a
professional way?
The current arrangement is very poor. Sorry, I mean: dreadful. It makes
the whole IGF process a complete joke.
Perhaps Dr. Touré was right when he used the term "waste of time".

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html