[governance] Wording to prevent a deadlock (re: Jeanette)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 03:21:51 EST 2010

Hmmm... Realo's vs. Fundi's

Was ever thus...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeanette Hofmann [mailto:jeanette at wzb.eu]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 1:13 AM
To: Paul Lehto
Cc: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Subject: Re: [governance] Wording to prevent a deadlock (re: Jeanette)

Paul Lehto wrote:
> There simply is no action, concrete or otherwise, that is not preceded
> by ideas and principles, even if the principles are pragmatism,
> hedonism, greed or whatever.

I don't deny this but this discussion is not a conceptual one, it is
about agenda setting. We discuss the issue of how to make rights and
principles the subject of a main session at the next IGF.
The MAG works by consensus. We won't get any topic accepted that one or
several of the members don't want.
I will leave it at that. I am not even sure anymore if we are arguing
about the same goals.

jeanette

Thus, there is no "concrete" without
> [...]
> "second way", it's just an application of principles to a single
> context, with no claim for their broader applicability (whenever
> rights or principles are not expressly identified for purposes of
> such)
>
> A "concrete" proposal will have principles (for certain) and may have
> rights that underlay its actual text, so the question is, are those
> principles and rights that necessarily exist in all cases just
> undisclosed in the text of a particular case example, or have the
> rights instead been abandoned in favor of some other de facto vision
> of internet governance?
>
> If it is the latter, we can all be thankful that, in the rights we do
> have, other people and prior generations did not give up after the
> first few rejections.  That's the key to success in fields as
> disparate as sales, politics, rights and training for the olympic
> games.
>
> Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor
>
> On 2/7/10, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:
>>
>> Paul Lehto wrote:
>>> Milton Mueller is 100% correct: Then let them veto it.
>>>
>>> Just make sure the wording, in the event of a possible veto, is the
>>> best possible thing to be vetoed, so that way it's a win/win in some
>>> ways: Either we get the main session, which is a win, or we don't
>>> get the main session but instead we get a 'cause celeb' so to speak,
>>> a revealing display of hostility to the rights and interests of
>>> internet users.
>> I am sorry but we have this "revealing display of hostility to the
>> rights and interests of internet users" in the transcript of almost
>> every open consultation since WSIS. And we had the same stuff in the
>> WSIS prepcoms before that. I really, really fail to understand what
>> you hope to gain from being politically correct but practically
>> losing out on the chance to explore the issue of rights in a main
>> session.
>>
>> What counts in preparing IGFs is the _implementation_, the concrete
>> organization of sessions (speakers, topics, moderators, etc). The
>> formal title of a session, the buzz words, are symbolic politics at
>> most.
>>
>> I begin to think that many of you find it more satisfying to
>> heroically lose on a right cause than negotiating a pragmatic
>> solution that would allow us to actually design the agenda of the
>> next IGF.
>>
>> jeanette
>>> Without rights, all that's left is market power/money, and whatever
>>> random concessions market power/money may wish to make in order to
>>> keep a fig leaf of user rights in front of their exposed anatomy.
>>>
>>> All legitimate political power emanates from rights held by people.
>>> The rest is the power of money to distort the discussion of rights.
>>> To the extent any entities' power is out of proportion to the number
>>> of human supporters, that entity is undemocratic to that same

sr.org>

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org