[governance] Wording to prevent a deadlock (re: Jeanette)

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Sun Feb 7 14:09:32 EST 2010

Paul Lehto wrote:
> Milton Mueller is 100% correct: Then let them veto it.
>
> Just make sure the wording, in the event of a possible veto, is the
> best possible thing to be vetoed, so that way it's a win/win in some
> ways: Either we get the main session, which is a win, or we don't get
> the main session but instead we get a 'cause celeb' so to speak, a
> revealing display of hostility to the rights and interests of internet
> users.

I am sorry but we have this "revealing display of hostility to the
rights and interests of internet users" in the transcript of almost
every open consultation since WSIS. And we had the same stuff in the
WSIS prepcoms before that. I really, really fail to understand what you
hope to gain from being politically correct but practically losing out
on the chance to explore the issue of rights in a main session.

What counts in preparing IGFs is the _implementation_, the concrete
organization of sessions (speakers, topics, moderators, etc). The formal
title of a session, the buzz words, are symbolic politics at most.

I begin to think that many of you find it more satisfying to heroically
lose on a right cause than negotiating a pragmatic solution that would
allow us to actually design the agenda of the next IGF.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org