AW: [governance] Call for consensus on IGC OC statement until

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Feb 7 08:53:27 EST 2010

Yes to #1 and #3 for me.

On #1, would prefer that the "openness at all layers of the internet" phrase, which provides a fat, easy target for any policy-aware technical person, be changed to "ensuring the openness of the Internet." But may be beyond the point of such modifications; its been hard to keep up with this discussion so I offer my acceptance on practical grounds if it can't be changed.

On #2, the theme as presented is not all that bad, but many of you may be familiar with my belief in the bankruptcy of the development industry and development rhetoric as a path toward actual economic and social growth, and whatever the content or intent of our proposal I believe that such a theme, if accepted, would inevitably gravitate toward and reinforce those older themes (especially given the likelihood the other 2 themes will be vetoed).

On #3, it seems we are still discussing verbal modifications, so I express my general support for the theme and the principles and trust our hard-working coordinators to work something out in time.

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org